Get Your Home Ready for Spring
Spring has finally arrived. For the parts of the U.S. affected by the polar vortex, it couldn’t get here fast enough. There still might be a few more cold days in the offing where you live, but flowers and warmer temperatures are right around the corner. To you, this may mean it’s time for spring cleaning and repairs. Get ready for the new season with these home maintenance tips.
Around the house
- Install weatherstripping on your windows and doors. Weatherstripping is easy to install and a can help you save on your energy bill each month.
- Replace the A/C filter before the summer months. A new filter will help your unit run efficiently all spring and summer long.
- Test all of your home’s ceiling fans to make sure they work properly. Give them a good cleaning while you are at it. If you have spring allergies, the last thing you need is dust flying around your home.
- Check your home’s smoke alarms. Make sure they are functioning properly and replace the batteries as needed.
- As you clean and organize, update your home inventory. If you don’t keep a home inventory, start one now by itemizing your possessions. Insurance experts recommend all homeowners keep an active inventory to help in the event of a loss.
In the yard
- Get out in the yard and clean your gutters and downspouts. Make sure you get rid of any leaves or debris that may have accumulated during the winter.
- Trim back the trees and shrubs within five feet of your home. You don’t want a branch blowing through your window on a windy day.
- Check your roof for missing or damaged shingles. For your own safety, hire a professional for any work that needs to be done.
- Pressure wash your driveway, sidewalk, patio and any paved areas that have become dirty.
- Test your outdoor light bulbs and change them if necessary.
Before you stop and smell the roses, take the time to complete these home maintenance projects. That way, when spring weather truly settles in, you can simply sit back and enjoy it.